Monday, July 24, 2006

Bit of a scare last week

Last week Wednesday I received an e-mail from the Registrar at the seminary. The Registrar was following-up on how I was progressing with meeting two pre-requisite requirments to admission (ie. completion of Western Civ. and Philosophy). In the e-mail, the Registrar said I could not attend class this fall until these two courses were completed. Needless to say -- I was in shock.

When I was accepted to seminary months ago, I had been operating under the assumptuion that I had to meet these requirements before ordination which would be 3+ years, so I figured I had some time to complete these two courses. I guess I misunderstood this and these classes needed to be fulfilled before enrollment.

Since my acceptance to seminary, I have been preparing to CLEP out of Western Civ., and I am scheduled to take the Western Civ. exam on August 17. No worries there. But as for Philosophy, I explained to the Registrar that I tried to get into an online philosophy course, unfortunately it is filled until spring 2007. Thankfully (after a phone call and a visit) the seminary is giving my one year to complete undergraduate Philosophy. That is a great relief.

I believe that the graciousness of the seminary to give me a year to complete Philosophy is a gift from God and in a sense another road block has been averted.

No comments: