Monday, June 02, 2008

Blue Like Jazz Thoughts

I'm reading Donald Miller's popular book, Blue Like Jazz, and he wrote some things that really resonate deep within me. Here's what he wrote on page 20 -

"I started wondering whether we could actually change the world. I mean, of course we could - we could change our buying habits, elect socially conscious representatives and that sort of thing, but I honestly don't believe we will be solving the greater human conflict with our efforts. The problem is not a certain type of legislation or even a certain politician; the problem is the same that it has always been.

"I am the problem.

"I think every conscious person, every person who is awake to the functioning principles within his reality, has a moment where he stops blaming the problems in the world on group think, on humanity and authority, and starts to face himself. The problem is not out there; the problem is the needy beast of a thing that lives in my chest.

"I talk about love, forgiveness, social justice; I rage against the American materialism in the name of altruism, but have I controlled my own heart? The over-whelming majority of time I spend thinking about myself, pleasing myself, reassuring myself, and when I am done there is nothing to spare for the needy."

I'll stop there just to say that I think that Miller is exactly right when he said that nothing is going to change [in this world] until you and I figure out what is wrong with the person in the mirror. Miller's words reminded me of Jesus' words in the Gospels where he said, "Anyone who desires to come [or follow] after me, must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me." What if the person staring back in the mirror has died to himself in order to follow Jesus? Does that make a difference?

No comments: