Sunday, April 04, 2010

doc's funeral

I had the privilege yesterday to say a few words of honor and remembrance during the funeral for a dear and beloved friend, Doc Sheridan, and I share them with you.

"If you asked me six months ago to say something noteworthy about Doc Sheridan, I’m not sure what I would have said. Perhaps, I would have confessed that I really didn’t know Doc all that well. I knew little things about him like he grew up here in the Coopersville / Allendale area, and that he was a veterinarian, and that he went to Michigan State, and even served our country overseas in Europe. But I didn’t really know him. I couldn’t have told you about his passions or the names of his children or even the people who most influenced him throughout his life. Those are the things a person should know if they really know someone.

"I have had the privilege over the last six months of Saturday mornings to meet with Doc and a few other men for Bible study over a cup of hot coffee and bran muffins. I admit…at first, I was a little disappointed that more men my age did not participate, but it didn’t take long for me to learn to delight in their presence and value our time together each Saturday morning. I found myself looking forward to the next Saturday to learn from Doc, Don Drooger, Dave MacDonald, and Jordan Ferrier who have been like spiritual mentors to me over the last six months. There is one thing I know for certain – our little rag-tag group has deep and meaningful bonds, and with Doc gone, our “band of brothers” will not be the same.

"The more I reflect on our time together, the more I realize that what I know about a person isn’t as important as being known by Jesus. Jesus knows Doc. “I am the good shepherd,” said Jesus. “I know my sheep and my sheep know me.” Jesus, the good shepherd knows a thing or two about sheep. Doc, the good veterinarian, knew a thing or two about sheep. As Doc tells it and as best I recall it – once while driving through the French countryside in order to tend to dairy cows, Doc slowed the car to a snail’s pace because up ahead on the road, Doc happened to notice a Frenchman shepherding a very small flock along the country road and as the shepherd walked past the homes along the road, more sheep would join the flock. Soon the shepherd had collected all the sheep in the village and then led them to pasture for the day. According to Doc, it was something unlike which he had ever seen - sheep from different homes following the voice of their shepherd. Well…come to find out…every day that shepherd pastured and watered those sheep. And each night as the shepherd walked past each house in the village – one by one and two by two, the sheep left the flock and returned home.

"However unusual we might find this story, Doc assured us that it was not all that uncommon. He recalled times as a young boy when he saw flocks walking along the dirt roads returning home from pasture all by themselves. They would walk no less than a mile without a shepherd and somehow find their way home. He attributed their success to instinct which pointed them the way home.

"Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know me.”
Jesus has known Doc for a long time. And Doc has followed his Savior for a lot of years and he will continue to follow Jesus for all eternity.
Doc has been marked as one of Jesus’ own – “He’s mine,” says the Lord, “I know my sheep and my sheep know me.” And like the sheep that Doc followed all those years ago in the French countryside, Doc has followed his Savior home."

Doc you will be greatly missed. May you rest eternally in the arms of our loving Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: