Monday, September 15, 2008

What to do when the right thing isn't obvious.

I just finished reading Choices: Making Right Decisions in a Complex World by the now deceased, Lewis Smedes. I've heard his other stuff is excellent material as well, but that is another conversation for another time. I read this book as a required text for my seminary ethics class, and I found his insight very helpful, particularly when "the right thing to do" isn't always so obvious. Every day we are faced with moral and amoral issues (notice I didn't say immoral, but we do do that too!) and many of these issues demand that we make a decision. Most of the time, we like to make the "right" decision, but what about those comlicated situations and complex times where we just don't know what the right thing to do is? Lewis offers some help. Lewis says in his book, when you can't be sure [about the right thing], be responsible. Lewis says ask yourself these questions the next time you are in one of these kinds of situations:
1. Have I used discernment?
2. Have I interpreted the question before I answered it?
3. Have I considered whether the act was appropriate?
4. Have I used my imagination?
5. Have I checked whether what I did was consistent with my commitments?
6. Was I willing to let my act be seen in public?
7. Have I accepted accountability for the results of what I did?

Smedes goes on to say "If we acted responsibly, chances are that we did a good thing under the circumstances." I'd like to add that sometimes the responsible thing is the only choice we may have left to make. When in doubt, act responsibly. Peace.

No comments: