Friday, October 10, 2008

Book Discussion: For the Beauty of the Earth



I am reading a wonderful book entitled For the Beauty of the Earth by Dr. Steven Bouma-Prediger of Hope College - from right here in West Michigan. I just so happen to be taking a seminary level ethics course with the good doctor, and this text of his is required reading. And because I think this book has a lot to offer, I'd like to share some 'wealth' of information concerning creation care. Why do I want to share this? In short, I believe that when we talk or listen to sermons about stewardship, we never (yes, never) talk or hear about creation stewardship though it is apparent (at least to me) that this is a really big concern to the biblical authors (and to God for that matter).

So, I hope to engage Dr. Bouma-Prediger through is insightful book, highlight key points from each chapter, and offer questions for further consideration. This is the first time I've taken on a task such as this, but I think it will be fruitful.

From the back cover of For the Beauty of the Earth:
At a time when it seems humans have erred much in their understanding and keeping of the planet, For the Beauty of the Earth explores the relationship between Christianity and the natural world in the most thorough evangelical treatment available on a theology of creation care.

Preview of coming attractions - Chapter 1 "Where Are We? An Ecological Perspective on Place"

No comments: