Monday, April 25, 2011

caution :: do not to go to seminary

Just a few months ago, I officially graduated from seminary which means that I've in a reflective mood.  It must be that I'm missing writing papers or something.  But, as an "older" and supposedly more "mature" student among many recent college graduates, I realized that I might actually have some wisdom to share with a younger generation.

So, as I began to reflect on my 4.5 year journey through seminary - yes, I said 4.5 years - have concluded that while many become seminary students because they are called to serve as pastors or missionaries or chaplains, there are some really good reasons not to go to seminary.  Oh, and by the way, I am attempting some mild humor here.

My first piece of wisdom is: do not go to seminary...

1. ...because you want to be debt-free.

2. ...because your favorite popular pod-casted preacher is adjunct faculty there.

3. ...because you love to write theological treatises.

4. ...because you love to sleep in a library cubicle.

5. ...because your parents named you John or Calvin or Wesley (after John Calvin or John Wesley).

6. ...because you want to get an educational tax credit.

7. ...if you think the world needs more unemployed Ph.D. candidates.

8. ...because you look forward to Spring Break.

9. ...because you once thought to yourself: "Wouldn't it be really cool to read the Bible in it's original language?"!

10. ...if you are really good at making a living doing something else.  This last one isn't all that funny, but it is some of the best advice I was given.

So, what are some more reasons for not going to seminary?

No comments: