Tuesday, June 15, 2010

as is by krista finch


Krista Finch’s first book, As Is: Unearthing Commonplace Glory is a delight. Finch is a masterful wordsmith who carefully crafts poetry and short memoirs, which mines the conflict and tension we feel in our lives, as her opening poem rightly suggests: “…that was a long time ago; there’s no time for chasing lightening bugs now” not with the long laundry list of things that we do which redirects our attention from perhaps deeper, more meaningful spaces (p. 9). I was hooked by the opening poem which, I believe, sets the tone, rhythm, and content for the rest of the book. I had this sense that if I enjoyed the opening as much as I did that I would enjoy the rest of what was to come. As Is is witty and honest; and if we are honest with ourselves we will find many points of connection in Finch’s short stories.

As Is should be read devotionally. I found myself reading 2-3 chapters (which are very short) a day in order to let the story “sink in” and give myself time for reflection. The one thing I really appreciate about this book is that it forces us as readers to slow down and reflect – even meditate – on what is being said. Reading this book in 1-2 sittings is not recommended and may even disappoint if attempted.

Disclaimer: In accordance with local and federal laws, I disclose that I was given a free copy of this book for review by The Ooze Viral Bloggers. No compensation has been received for this review.

No comments: